A network security key is the passphrase or password that a device utilizes in order to authenticate its access to your network. This is necessary in order to establish a secure connection with the wireless router because this key must be matched by any device that is trying to connect to it.
YOUR HOME NETWORK SECURITY KEY
The security key can be viewed on the computers that are connected to your Wi-Fi. Read on for information on how to perform this operation based on your specific operating system.
- Go to the start button on your home screen and click it.
- Head to the control panel.
- Go to the “Network and Internet” tab and click on the “View Network Status and Tasks” button.
- Left click and Go to “Manage Wireless Networks” and locate your wireless network. Then right click and select “Properties”.
- Head to the Security tab and check the box that says “Show Character”. It may already be checked.
- Hit the “Go” button that is located at the top of the home screen.
- Click Utilities.
- Double click “Keychain Access” option and select your network from the list that is provided.
- Check the “Show Password” box. You may have to enter your administrator password and click “Allow” to perform this operation.
Performing the above steps will help you find your key for the most popular OS systems.
FINDING YOUR ROUTER’S SECURITY KEY
Your router’s security key is located in its wireless security settings. However, it is important to note that, all routers are different and so it is difficult to provide a set of basic instructions.